Monday, January 4, 2010

A day at a time.

Despite the fact that my latest post was just two days ago, here I am, all pepped-up to write a new one. Fauzal, this is for you.

How did I met this guy? Let's see... We were already starting standard 3 at the time but he came in late. My first, pure and innocent thought about the guy.

"He sure is short for a nine-year-old."

I remember vaguely, despite the attention everyone was giving him when the teacher introduced him as the new kid, he stood tall and confidently delivered a small introduction speech. Small for him perhaps but for the rest of us, it was big because I doubt any of us was able to do that at the time. His accent was interesting too and when he mentioned where he came from, the curiosity was answered.

I remembered, shortly after his intro, I sent him a piece of paper with a question;

"Nama awak Fawzal?" (Your name is Fawzal?)

He sent the paper back with a cross on his name that I wrote and wrote down a new one; Fauzal. Then only the name doesn't strike me odd anymore.

That was how we met. How we became close friends is still a wonder to me. Perhaps it was the same thing that drew me and Aisyah together once up till today; English. It matters then, does it still now? I don't have the answer to that.

It has been an awfully long time since I last saw him. More than a year, give or take. But they say absence makes the heart grows fonder. True, very true. But true friendship can keep going strong no matter the distance that separates.

Now that I'm trying to write down my memories of him, I can't remember anything. I do have many fond memories of him but it's not write-able. I hope you'll take that as a compliment, hon;)

Today you're 18. I hate to sound very cliche but that's just what we do on someone's birthday. We wish him/her the best. So, best of luck on everything. May Allah bless you always. Happy birthday!

p/s: I still think Teluk Kalong has one of the best beaches in the whole wide world:p

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...